I actually think the number isn’t clearly defined – you can have as many or as few as you like: 5, 10, 25….47. They’re just songs that make you stop what you’re doing and give them your full attention no matter how many times you’ve listened to them. Or songs that have personal emotional or circumstantial significance. Or songs that bring a smile to your face whenever you hear them. Or…however else you want to define “favourite”.
I don’t think I have a defined number myself. A true all-time favourite will never leave the list – if it does, it shouldn’t have been there in the first place – but new songs, or old songs I haven’t heard before, or old songs that adopt a new significance, often find their way onto the list.
So the list grows.
I’m sure you saw this coming, without it this would be a fairly pointless rambling, but here are a few of them (in no particular order):
1. Warning – Incubus
2. Last Goodbye – Jeff Buckley
3. I Only Have Eyes For You (Dames) – The Flamingos
4. These Arms Of Mine – Otis Redding
5. Stormy Weather – Lena Horne
6. Cruisin’ – D’Angelo
7. Wicked Game – Chris Isaak
8. Lithium – Nirvana
9. Floaty – Foo Fighters
10. Kabhi Kabhi Mere Dil Mein – Lata Mangeshkar & Mukesh
11. Hey Lover – Boyz II Men & LL Cool J
12. The Wolves (Acts I and II) – Bon Iver
13. Bitter Sweet Symphony – The Verve
14. Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
15. Insomnia – Faithless
No individual links this time. Just a spotify playlist.