One of my favourite movie soundtracks of all time, from 1999 (I’ll do a ‘Garden State’ post some other time although the Shins gave a taster), featuring tracks ranging from eerie to poignant to rawk with a bit of tongue-in-cheek thrown in for good measure. I’ll point you to a few gems and try and steer clear of the (minimal) turkeys:
- Day One – Bedroom Dancing: the album version of this track gets a bit cheeky towards the end so don’t listen to it too loud in public…really funky beat.
- Placebo – Every You Every Me: no match for ‘Nancy Boy’ in my mind but still a fun rock track.
- Craig Armstrong – This Love (feat. Elizabeth Fraser): this is the eerie I mentioned, and quite atmospheric.
- Counting Crows – Colourblind: from my favourite scene in the movie, Ryan Phillipe coming up the escalator to meet Reese Witherspoon at the train station. Leads to some ‘Ahem’ moments.
- The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony: anthem.
I’m going to leave it there before I end up reeling off the whole track list – left Skunk Anansie out of it because I don’t think ‘Secretly’ is one of their better tracks. Let me know if you disagree.